As a senior member of STC, I am a technical communicator and, as such, the bridge between those who create ideas and those who use them. Because I recognize that the quality of my services directly affects how well these ideas are understood, I am committed to excellence in performance and the highest standards of ethical behavior.
I value the worth of the ideas I am transmitting and the cost of developing and communicating those ideas. I also value the time and effort spent by those who read or see or hear my communications. I therefore recognize my responsibility to communicate technical information truthfully, clearly and economically.
My commitment to professional excellence and ethical behavior means that I will
- Use language and visuals with precision.
- Prefer simple, direct expression of ideas.
- Satisfy the audience’s need for information, not my own need for self-expression.
- Hold myself responsible for how well my audience understands my message
- Respect the work of colleagues, knowing that a communication problem may have more than one solution.
- Strive continually to improve my professional competence.
- Promote a climate that encourages the exercise of professional judgment and that attracts talented individuals to careers in technical communication.